Real survey data is messy
Distance sampling in the Real World
- We've talked a lot about models
- We've also talked about assumptions
- Our example is relatively well-behaved
- What can we do about all the nasty real world stuff?
- Here we want to cover common questions
- Not definitive answers
- Some guidance on where to look for answers
What should my sample size be?
What do we mean by "sample size"?
- Number of animal (groups) recorded
- Number of segments
- Number of segments with observations
How would we know when we have enough samples?
- We don't
- Heavily context-dependent
- Go back to assumptions